New York State Boating Safety Classes
Boater Education, Certification and U.S. Coast Guard Licensing
NYS Boater Safety Courses throughout New York State

NEW YORK STATE Requirements- Persons required to complete the course You must hold a safety certificate if:
- You operate a personal watercraft and are at least 14 years of age.
- You wish to operate a motorboat (other than a personal watercraft) and you are at
least 10 years old and less than 18 years old.
- If you are less than 10 years old you may operate a motorboat (non-PWC) only if
someone over 18 is on board with you. Anyone may operate a personal watercraft
if someone at least 18 years old is riding on the craft and they hold a safety

A safety certificate issued to a resident of another state or country is acceptable provided the certificate is carried while operating in New York State. Please note the certificate must be issued by the state or country of residence, and should be NASBLA approved.

NEW JERSEY STATE Requirements- Persons required to complete the course
As of June 1, 2009, all power vessel operators, regardless of date of birth, are required to possess a boat safety certificate.

Exemptions: A boat safety certificate is not required for non-powered vessels.

NEW JERSEY STATE Minimum Age of Operation
There are two minimum ages, 13 years old for vessels powered by electric trolling motors, or vessels 12' or longer with less than 10 total HP.
Operators of all other power vessels, including personal watercraft, must be at least sixteen years old, this includes out-of-state residents.

CONNECTICUT STATE Requirements- Persons required to complete the course
To legally operate
any boat with an engine or motor, other than a personal watercraft, or a sailboat 191/2 feet in length or longer, the following persons must obtain a Safe Boating Certificate:
- Residents of Connecticut
- Owners of real property in Connecticut
- Anyone using Connecticut waters more than 60 days in a year.
A person who has a valid vessel operator license by the United States Coast Guard does not require a Safe Boating Certificate. They must have a copy of the license on board the recreational vessel on which they are operating.

Operators of a personal watercraft, regardless of state residency, must possess a
Certificate of Personal Watercraft Operation to operate on Connecticut waters. The Connecticut Safe Boating Certificate and Certificate of Personal Watercraft Operation are accepted in many states. Connecticut recognizes certificates from New York, Massachusetts and Rhode Island for use upon our waters.

ALL COURSES LISTED by us in CT are "Combination Courses" and include both the Safe Boating Certificate and Certificate of Personal Watercraft operation. Take the course and you meet the requirements for boating and PWC operation.

CONNECTICUT Minimum Age of Operation
No person under 16 years of age, who has been issued a Certificate of Personal Watercraft Operation (CPWO) after March 9, 2004, may operate a personal watercraft without the onboard supervision of a person who is at least 18 years of age and in possession of a CPWO. Operators between the age of 12 and 16, who were issued a CPWO on or before March 9, 2004, may operate a personal watercraft by themselves, although the DEP recommends that they be accompanied by a person 18 years or older who possesses a certificate. All out of state boaters must be 16 to operate a personal watercraft by themselves.

No person under 12 years of age shall operate a vessel with greater than 10 horsepower unless accompanied by a person at least 18 years old. Both persons must have certificates to operate.

NOTE: Although we strive to make sure information on our site and this page is current and accurate, we have put together the information on this page by taking the information from the State Boaters Guide within the respective states listed.  We recommend you review the Boaters Guide within the state you intend to operate to be sure you are familiar with the laws within that state and that the information you need to operate safely and within the guidelines of that state is accurate. Direct links to those sites can be found under the "NYS, NJ, CT, PA and Federal Regulations" link above.

Home Page | Find a Class and Private Classes | PWC, Boat and Youth Operating Laws | NYS Boating Regulations | Links and Resources | Knot Tying | Our Instructors | Frequently Asked Questions

Contact us at: or call (516) 216-4410

To view our policies and website privacy statement click here